So it happened, and on the first day of summer no less. For three months I was doing “OK” needing no more than one or two uses of albuterol a day until June arrived. I’m trying to be proactive – I really am. I made a point to go see my local pulmonologist a little over a week ago. He agreed I was doing the right thing and bumped up my daily prednisone from 5mg/day to 40mg/day with a slow taper back down to 5. The past week has sucked.
- Every morning I wake up with peakflows around 60%
- I’ve been spending every day at work in shoddily air conditioned offices, but am thankful I’m not having to be in the buildings with no air conditioning
- Every night between 8pm and 1am things get bad for an hour or so
- Every night/day things have been getting a little worse
- After an hour in a hot conference room on Friday I started hardcore wheezing (wheezing is not a common symptom for me)
Last night things started going south around 9pm. By midnight I had done three consecutive neb treatments in three hours w/o successfully getting my peakflows up above 350. Liz ended up staying home with the kids and El Cuñado gave me a ride, being the awesome dude he is. As usual, I get there and they immediately put me into a room. A nurse of some sort was in there and a respiratory tech came in right away to have a listen. She declared my breaths sound ok, AKA no wheezing, and said they’d be right back to start some meds.
Two hours later the doc came in apologizing for the long wait and immediately told me there was a 50/50 chance I’m not going home because I’m hardly moving any air. I got the standard IV line, solumedrol push, blood tests, x-rays, and neb. A couple more hours and the x-rays show no pneumonia, the blood tests are good, and my breathing has slightly improved. Sound familiar? So at this point the doc comes back and says normally he’d admit someone like me, but taking my history and rock-star-respiratory-system into account, he wants to send me home so I don’t accidentally pick up pneumonia or all the crazy viruses people keep sharing. And as always, “come back if things start to get like this again.”
El Cuñado takes me home, peakflows are still at 350, I do a little more self-medicating and get a couple hours of sleep, later waking up a sweaty mess and needing more albuterol. Sometimes I wish they’d just keep me at the hospital because I have a good feeling history will repeat itself. If my sensible gut feeling proves right, I’d like to get a hold of someone via the physician’s answering service to tell me to head back in instead of wasting a lot of money to do what I could at home in a much more comfortable environment.
Now I just have to figure out what to do about work since I have no sick, vacation, nor FMLA time remaining with which to stay home and attempt to recover. Next week’s forecast is once again hot and sweaty, and they still don’t have the AC fixed.