A while back I came across a video about some guy selling razor blades. I got a good laugh and forgot about it until last Monday when I saw an ad on Facebook.
Pretty awesome, right? I’m almost as good at tennis as he is. Of course I had to check things out. I started clicking through everything on their site to see exactly what their deal is. Afterward I checked Google to see what everyone else was saying about it. Here’s the short and skinny.
Razorblades come in three varieties:
- Humble twin – this 2 blade razor is your most basic option for $1/month + shipping and handling. Some people just like to torture themselves and I haven’t even used a 2 blade razor since last century. You receive 5 of these blade cartridges per order with a basic handle on first shipment.
- The 4x – I decided to try out this option at $6/month (shipping and handling included). I’ve been using the Schick Quattro with titanium blades for years now. It’s not bad, but there’s always room for improvement. You receive four of these blade cartridges per order with an upgraded metal handle.
- The Executive – here’s the cream of the crop with six blades for $9/month (shipping and handling included). There are extra bells and whistles on this such as a trimmer and slightly nicer handle. You receive four of these blade cartridges per order with a premium handle.
You will receive one shipment per month unless you opt to receive shipments every other month. There is also no lock-in or contract so you can cancel at any time. After receiving your first shipment, your next shipment will go out one, or two, months later.
My first shipment
Shave Butter is their premium shaving cream that’s not a cream. I added one to my first order and am so far pleased with it. The shave butter comes out looking sort of like vaseline meaning it’s translucent and you can actually see what you’re shaving. I can’t count how many times I’ve been trying to shape my current beard configuration and have messed up because I can’t see what I’m doing. Shave Butter can be added to your order for $8, but will not automatically ship every month.
One Wipe Charlies. Yes, they have fancy, flushable butt wipes for men. I don’t see myself trying this one anytime soon, but I’m sure one of you reading this can’t wait to get your package of 40 durable 5″ x 7″ sheets. One Wipe Charlies can be added to your order for $4, but will not automatically ship every month.
Extra Razor Handles – You receive your first handle free and can order a second handle but will have to pay for it. If you upgrade or downgrade, a new handle will be sent to you.
While googling and googling this service I came across many reviews and recommendations lauding the awesomeness of the Dollar Shave Club with negative reviews sprinkled here and there. It was nice to see the diversification because any product worth considering should have a good population of people willing to share their thoughts/experiences as well as people who love it and hate it. We all know everyone will never be happy so if you have an entire population loving or hating something, you better check into it more.
- Some reviewers just hated the $1 razor and handle, and I’m not surprised. I can’t shave my head with a disposable razor so why would I purchase a $1 safety razor to do the same job?
- Some reviewers have pointed out you can buy these razors directly from the manufacturer for less money, however, the manufacturer charges you shipping and handling which pretty much negates the savings. You would also miss out on the awesome advertising, packaging and not having to remember to re-order on a regular basis.
- Some reviewers say the razors clog too easily, don’t offer a “good shave” or irritate their skin. These are all great observations, but there’s very also subjective and hard to measure. I have no idea how they’re shaving, what their skin type is, how much stubble they’re attempting to remove, how old the razor is, etc, etc, etc. You basically have to try this stuff for yourself and see what happens.
I received my first shipment Friday and shaved my head Saturday, this morning. I applied a thin layer of Shave Butter onto my scalp and gave it a whirl. I was a little worried about a “dry-shave” feeling since my standard operating procedure is to apply a hefty amount of Gillette Sensitive Skin Shaving Cream. It actually felt great and the razor didn’t clog at all. My last head-shave had been three days prior which is about the perfect time for a touch-up. A few days later and the hair is almost too long to easily shave. I often use my Quattro razors much longer than I should because I can’t afford to buy them as often as I’d like which results in less than awesome shaves. I’m hoping to shave my head every 2-3 days with The 4X.
Shave butter, The 4X razor handle and four cartridges
The one thing that was awkward was getting used to the angle of the razor cartridge on the handle. It’s more like a Gillette Mach 3 which is a different angle than the Schick Quattro. That was easy enough to get over though. I’m very interested to see how long the blades continue working for me. I always have some sort of facial hair going on and am rocking a full beard at the moment. My face is pretty hardy and isn’t really phased by a “bad shave.” My scalp on the other hand is an entirely different matter. I was able to shave my head in several minutes with no irritation and when getting directly into a hot shower, I had no “stinging patches” on my head which often happens with other razors. I’m going to continue to see how DollarShaveClub works out and will update later on how things are going.
I placed my Schick Quattro next to The 4X
How do I order?
So this link here will take you straight to the DollarShaveClub’s site where you can check things out and think about giving it a try. I’m going to just fess up and say it’s a referral link. If you use my link and sign up, I’ll get a few bucks credit on the site and you’ll be empowering me to continue having an awesome shaved head. If you’ve tried this service, are using it or think you’ll start – I’d love to hear your comments.